Welcome to K-2!
Updated: Jun 20, 2018
By Starr Schwinn
CLICK here for info on Kinder Round Up, March 16, 2018
Grades K-2 and Head Teacher
Mrs. Starr Schwinn has returned to DVCS. She first taught grades K-2 in 2006-2011. Then she taught grades 3-8 beginning in August 2017. Now she will be teaching the K-2 room again. Mrs. Schwinn is looking forward to the challenge of new curriculum and working with the younger students. She has taught in a variety of settings, public and private, and has found that teaching for Jesus and Adventist Education is where her heart belongs.
She has been a teacher since 2001. She has a Masters of Education in Curriculum and Instruction. Mrs. Schwinn enjoys reading, watching children grow & learn, and walking with her two small mixed terriers, Daisy & Cider. She has been married to a wonderful man, Konrad, for 16 years.
Click on the links below to learn more about her classroom.
- Learning is a process involving the mind, body, heart and feelings.
- Children want to learn.
- Children need time for exploring, experimenting and practicing new skills.
- That practiced classroom routines and procedures not only save time, but also, limit discipline issues.
- In having respect for one another.
- Children can teach each other.
- In using differentiated teaching strategies (one-to-one, small groups, cooperative learning) to reach each learning style.
- In teaching basic skills through topics and themes of interest.
- In giving specific praise to children for their hard work and best efforts.
- Children must feel safe to learn best.
- Once physical and emotional needs are met, then children can reach their fullest potential in the classroom.
- Children learn through what teachers model.
- I can provide the means, equipment, and skills to help children become lifelong learners.
- Jesus, our creator, is the Master Teacher and a resource to be connected to on a daily basis.
What we do and why we do it.
K-2 Supply list
2017-2018 School Calendar
Reading is a Process
Stages of Learning
Is My Child Ready for Kindergarten?